Published the Mar 29 2019 in "Articles"
“A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take “ Cardinal Mermillod
Sunday, March 31st we are celebrating our mothers. What’s better than a family breakfast for this special day?
One to Wine is used to pair food with wine, that is why I am going to give you some ideas of wine pairing with breakfast.
First, let’s talk about the menu.
For a perfect breakfast you can start with something salty, for example a full English breakfast made with eggs, sausages, bacon, beans, toasts, mushrooms, tomatoes. For this king of meal, we would recommend a light and vivid red, such as our cabernet sauvignon the Prestigieux Loire from le Petit Clocher.
You can also make it healthier with a poached eggs, avocado, some salmon on toasts, salad and some tomatoes, with which, you cannot do better than a Champagne-method wine such as our Brut Tradition from Jacopé, or our Crémant 2014 from Domaine Maison.
Different eggs styles and cooking time
- Scramble – beat the eggs with some cream, salt and pepper. Put the mixture in a hot and butter pan stir with a spoon. Let it cook as you prefer.
- Poached – Bring some water to a boil and add vinegar. Create a whirlpool in the water with a spoon and gently add the egg into that vortex. After 10 seconds, use a slotted spoon to remove the egg and let it cook at low simmer 2.30 minutes.
- Fried – Heat olive oil or butter in a non-stick pan, crack the egg into it and let it cook for 3-4 minutes, until the white is set. The yolk must to stay runny.
- Omelette – Crack the eggs into a big bowl then beat with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a hot and buttered pan. When it starts to cook, drawing in the edges with a spatula so the raw egg runs into the gaps and let it cook. You can add cheese, ham, tomatoes, bacon, spring onions….
- Hard boiled – 9 minutes in a boiling water
- Soft boiled – 6 minutes in a boiling water
A good breakfast means pancakes. Let me give you the perfect recipe of the fluffiest pancakes in the world!!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or sweetener
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (plus up to 1/4 cup extra if needed)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
Let’s start by combining together the dry ingredients in a bowl then give it a good stir. Separate egg’s white from yolk and beat the egg’s white using an electric mixer until it gets foamy. Add the vanilla, melted butter, the egg yolk and the milk little by little, stir until smooth. Finish by gently adding the egg’s white with a spatula. The batter should be thick and creamy. If not, just add a little bit more milk.
Take a non-stick pan and let it heat. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and spread out gently into a round shape. When bubbles start to appear on the surface, flip with a spatula and cool until golden.
You can serve this fluffy pancake to your mummy with bananas, blueberries, maple syrup, chocolate or ice cream. Just pick her favorite toppings!
We recommend a glass of Loin de l’oeil from Domaine Gayrard with it. It’s a dry white that would be lovely to drink with the sweetness of the pancakes.
You can also go for a French breakfast, for that you will need:
- Pain au chocolats
- Bread (a lots of bread) with butter and jam
- French cheeses (you can buy some really good ones at Cheezelo shop – 46 Chalton Street, London, NW1 1JB )
To make your breakfast fancier, you can also prepare a perfect Wine cocktail. We have three cocktails recipes to share with you made with our wines to surprise your mother:
The Pink Flamingo
– 10 cl Rosé de Loire 2016 Domaine du Petit Clocher
– 5 cl club soda
– Lemon juice (+ some slices for decoration)
– 1 cl liquid sugar
Mix all the ingredients. Stir well. Let it rest in the fridge to infuse for at least 1h.
Serve really chill and enjoy!
The Thames Royal
– 1 cl Liquid Sugar
– 4 cl Elderflower Limonade
– 10 cl Crémant de Loire 2014 Domaine Maison
– 2 cl Lime Juice
– A few frozen red fruits (strawberries, blackberries etc…)
In a balloon glass, mix the liquid sugar and a dash of lime juice. Then add the Crémant de Loire 2014, Domaine Maison. Carefully, pour the elderflower lemonade and put a few frozen red fruits in the glass. You can use a lime zest for decoration.
The King Sauvignon
– 2 cl Crème de Cassis
– 10 cl Sauvignon Blanc du Petit Clocher
– 3 or 4 Basil leaves
Fill a large balloon glass with ice cubes. Pour the Crème de Cassis (or any blackcurrant liquor). Then add the Sauvignon Blanc du Petit Clocher. And finish by adding the basil leaves. Stir and serve the cocktail!
We hope that our little breakfast guide gave you some good ideas to spoil your mama for HER special day!
We wish all the mothers a very happy Mother’s Day!